|The Cardio-Pulmonary Department at White-Wilson Medical Center provides
patients both heart and lung quality diagnostic and therapeutic services
- Holter Monitors
- 24-Hour Cardiac
- Stress Testing
The Pacemaker Clinic is a specialty clinic within the Cardio-Pulmonary department designed to provide comprehensive follow up for patients with implanted pacemakers, defibrillators and event recorders.
These are scheduled appointments designed to prolong pacemaker life and maximize patient benefit.
We currently follow patients at our Fort Walton Beach, Niceville,
and Destin offices.
EKG or Electrocardiogram
12 lead EKG testing is performed on a walk-in basis.
Common reasons: Chest Pain, Hypertension, Diabetes, History of MI, TIA, Syncope, Palpitations
SAEKG or Signal Averaged Electrocardiogram
Similar to a 12 lead EKG. Performed on a walk-in basis.
Common reasons: Same as those for EKG
Exercise Stress Test, GXT, Treadmill Test, Nuclear Stress test, Cardiolite, Stress Echo
These exams are scheduled and require some preparation by the patient. The Cardio-Pulmonary receptionist will provide instructions to the patient.
Common reasons: Angina, MI, CAD, Valve Disorders, CHF, Rhythm Disturbances
Chemical Stress Test
If the patient is unable to perform a walking treadmill test, Dobutamine or Adenosine may be used. Dobutamine tests require lab work within 7 days (Creatinine and Magnesium). Adenosine is inappropriate for patients with serious pulmonary problems.
This is a scheduled appointment with no patient preparation required. Monitors are applied for 24 and 48 hours. Event monitors are provided for up to 30 days for more intermittent symptoms. Monitors are applied in the Fort Walton and Niceville offices
Common reasons: Palpitations, Syncope, CAD, Atrial Fibrillation, SVT, Valve Disorders
What is an echocardiogram?
Echocardiograms (or “echos” as they are sometimes called) are ultrasound screenings of the heart.
This is a scheduled appointment with no patient preparation required. Usually, the patient can be accommodated the same day! Testing can be scheduled in the Fort Walton and Niceville offices.
Where are echocardiograms performed? They are performed in White-Wilson’s Cardiology Department in Fort Walton Beach between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday.
- Patients should report to the Cardiology Department at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Due to varying temperatures in the exam room, two piece outfits are recommended to provide maximum comfort for the patient (dresses are not recommended).
- Patients should have clean, dry skin with no powder or lotions.
- The procedure will take about 30 minutes to complete.
- Patients will be required to lie on their left side with their left arm above their head.
- The Cardiologist will read the echo and send his findings to the patients’ primary care physician within 48 to 72 hours.
- If you must cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment time. There is a 3- 4 week waiting list so please be courteous to other patients who could be seen during that time.
Common reasons: Hypertension, Valve Disorders, MI, Angina,
Pericarditis, CHF, Cerebrovascular Disease, PVD, Syncope, TIA, Shortness of Breath, Chest Pain
This is a scheduled test providing a non invasive assessment of mechanical cardiac function. There is no patient preparation required and most patients can be accommodated the same day.
Common reasons: CHF, CAD, Rhythm Disturbances, Valve disorders
Pulmonary Function Testing
This is a scheduled test requiring minimal patient preparation.
Patients should be able to sit up and follow instructions.
Common reasons: Shortness of Breath, COPD, Chest Pain, Asthma
The cardiopulmonary department is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and echocardiography is open from 7:15 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please call 863-8185 for scheduling.
Please have patient and diagnosis information available when calling to schedule a procedure.